Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ridin' a Rhino and Seein' Siberian Lynxes

Another day at the zoo--we are trying to get in as many days as we can before we move away from it. It was a really warm day in March, we had just past the Elephants and Rhinos and Sophie said she wanted to ride one. I said that would be fun, but what about their sharp hornlike tusks? I had forgotten that there was a statue of one just down the hill. So we decided to ride the Rhino.
That same day we saw not one, but three Siberian Lynxes (Alex said that this was plural for Lynx). This was a really exciting thing for me because we have NEVER seen them! I was beginning to think that the exhibit was a ruse and that their were no Siberian Lynxes. But low and behold, at exactly 5:07 pm--three of them emerged from their den and were looking to the south. I think they were waiting for the zoo keeper to feed them. Did you know that Siberian Lynx have really short stubby tails and really pointy black tipped ears? These might be my favorite of the big cat family--besides the Amur Leopards. I think they are from Siberia too.

No comments: